19.10.2020

Athens in June - a rollercoaster of quality time with friends, culture and culinary delights

Excited to revisit it and after a cruel start of the year, I jumped on a plane and on 25th of June I landed in Athens. Except the mask and no service in the airplane nothing had changed. The Athens airport is a bit emptier than the usual. The people are unbothered, having coffees and slowly doing their jobs. There is a strike, surprise, surprise, so the subway is not running all afternoon. Luckily the shuttle bus is still running all day long.

The 4 days that I've spent in Athens were a mix of long walks in the heart of the town, watching sunsets from some of the most amazing locations that the city has to offer, tasting the greek cuisine and diving into the history.

The first evening found me in Alou Fun Park on the Ride Star Flyer, enjoying the view of Athens from a height of 72 meters, at a speed of 30km! "An unforgettable ride with your hands and feet hanging free!" It felt exhilarating and the child in me was thoroughly happy.


On the 2nd day I've decided to go to Piraeus and discover new places such as Δον Κιχώτης - Don Quixote Bar which offers incredible coastal views. The air was hot. The beers and the long walk made me hungry. I stopped to have lunch at Παράγκα - Paraga. The table was full with greek salad, calamari, grilled vegetables, fried potatoes and wine. Cats were lurking around. A few seagulls were floating between the fishing boats as the sea breeze helped me cool down a bit.

Later in the afternoon I had a stroll around Monastiraki and watched a beautiful sunset from the Areopagus hill near the Acropolis. The sound of bouzouki and the laughter of the people made me forget about all the craziness that was going on in the world this year.


On the 3rd day in Athens I came back to Monastiraki but this time to revisit The Ancient Agora and Hephaistos Temple. It felt like a private tour as almost nobody else was around.





 
For sunset I've decided to walk all the way up to Lycabettus Hill. I wasn't disappointed at all. The 360 degrees panorama of Athens include views of the Acropolis all the way to the Saronic Gulf and Koutalas Mt..




The last day was a lazy one. I've ran away from the heat and hid under the palm trees of the National Garden, near the Hellenic Parliament. Parrots, turtles, goats rabbits and many more are here to be found. In the evening I caught up with some friends at a terrace in Plaka.



 It's pointless to say how amazing were the dishes, drinks and desserts that I've tasted while in Athens. I am a very big fun of the mediterranean cuisine. I will just leave some photos below.


Summer started a bit late this year and with incertitude, but at least it started. The next day I went on my journey to Kefalonia where I've spent my 7th summer among beautiful people and places.

In the next article I'll be back to Athens, this time at the end of September, for new exciting places and experiences.

Explore Vouti, an exotic beach with crystal clear water

Dive into the Ionian blue at Petani beach

'Till next time, take care.

Beldi

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu