10.11.2020

Back to Athens in September, new sights and flavors

After spending the summer of 2020 on Kefalonia island I've returned to the capital of Greece. Still a bit shook after the Medicane that hit the island in the middle of September, I was looking to relax and recharge my batteries. The last week of September surprised me with new sights and flavors that I'm going to share with you all.

I've been to Athens couple of times in my life. When I was younger I was rushing to visit as many places as I can as the time was short and I was full of energy, plus I had to take advantage of the free entrances as I was still a student. Nowadays I like to take it slowly, pace myself and enjoy the small details.


First stop was enjoying this little colorful coffee shop in Monastiraki called The Little Kook. It is an absolutely delightful place, a whole street that changes completely its scenery 4 times a year. This time it was Halloween theme and it was worth it. The cakes are a bit expensive but they are quite big so you can share, plus they are tasty and colorful.



Except the long walks in Monastiraki and Plaka, near a multitude of shops, ruins and tavernas, I wanted to try something new. So a trip to Piraeus was an ideal choice. The weather was still perfect for sunbathing. One day I've spent it on Votsalakia beach enjoying the last swim of the year in the Aegean Sea.





Another spot that I've visited in Athens was the Monument of Philopappos on the top of the hill with the same name. It offers 360° view of the city, from the Acropolis and the museum all the way to Piraeus and the Aegean Sea. It is free admission and it is a pleasant walk from Monastiraki Square. You can enjoy different ruins, history and nature at its best.




Meeting friends and spending quality time with them was also one of  the highlights of my holiday. I enjoy the most catching up with them while walking the beautiful streets of Athens near thousands of years old ruins, vibrant cafes and restaurants.


Two of my favorite spots for sunset in Athens are Areopagus Hill and City Zen Restaurant. For the latter I must add that the food is amazing, the view of the Acropolis is a plus and the service is great. More sunset spots and places to visit in Athens you can find in one of my posts HERE.

On the 2nd of October came the time to say good bye to Greece. It was my 12 summer spent near the sea, among amazing people and making lifetime memories. Despite the pandemic, while being on Kefalonia, I forgot about all the craziness going on in the world and I just lived in the moment. Thank you, Greece, for the wonderful time and see you soon!

During my stay I had a one day trip to Cape Sounion that you can read about RIGHT HERE.

'till next time, take care.

Beldi

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu